Tonkin & Taylor is New Zealand’s pre-eminent geotechnical consultancy. We work with a diverse range of clients and are recognised for the technical contributions we make to their projects. Our scale, scope, and knowledge allow us to solve geotechnical problems that no one else can.
We employ outstanding people, people who are highly skilled but also people from diverse backgrounds so that we are rewarded by the richness of many different contributions. The success of our company is simple – it comes from ‘following the dreams’ of our people. It is their passion, commitment and inspiration, their dream of personal and collective success in their technical field, which has led to our success.
So it really is all about our people and more importantly their dreams. Those that join us do so for the opportunity to work on technically challenging projects, to develop their technical skills, and the chance to work alongside some of the world’s leading experts. We are always working towards helping our people reach their full potential, connecting them to challenging and inspiring projects that make a positive difference in the world.
We have won numerous awards for the projects we have worked on with our clients. Some of those highlighted on this site.
We have literally been building the foundations of New Zealand for the last 50 years, which started with constructing the approaches to the Auckland Harbour Bridge in the 1950s. We are proudly 100% employee owned. Broad ownership shapes our identity, creates an incredibly powerful sense of belonging, and promotes a strong team culture. Here are a just a few facts you may not have known about us:
- We were the first geotechnical specialists in New Zealand.
- We are a family of “geos”… covering the geotechnical spectrum from geologists to engineering geologists to geotechnical engineers.
- We are by far the largest geotechnical consultancy in New Zealand. Worldwide other consultancies would be envious of our capability.
- We have been the geotechnical consultants for over 70% of building sites in Auckland’s CBD since 1990!
- We have designed a debris-flow control system that comprises, as its central component, the world’s largest flexible “ring net” barrier.
- We have conducted the geotechnical investigations for the largest wind farm in the Southern Hemisphere.
You may have read more about us lately due to the leading geotechnical role we have in the re-build of Canterbury following its devastating earthquakes. We are incredibly proud of the work our people are doing working with a number of agencies and other engineering consultancies to help the region.
In addition to our work in Christchurch we have a full schedule of project work spread throughout the rest of NZ and the Asia Pacific region. This just goes to show just how vast our playground is. Find out more about what we can offer you in terms of lifestyle, rewards, opportunities, and also view our playground. If you want to keep up with us and join in our conversation then please connect with us on Linkedin.